Timing in brief:
- Semi-freeze for easy slicing – 45mins
- Marinate – 12 hours
- Salting and dry – 2 hours
- Cooking – 4 1/2 hours – don’ panic this is only at 60 degrees!
- Put the fish in the freezer for around 45 ins or until firm. This makes slicing MUCH easier.
- Slice into 5-7mm slices length ways down the side of the filet – leave the skin on.
- Combine soy sauce, lemon juice, maple syrup, paprika or liquid smoke, pepper sauce and ground pepper in a bowl and add the fish.
- Put fish and marinade in a sealed bag and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Pat fish dry and discard the marinade. Place on a wire rack over a baking tray and salt both sides of the fish. See the photo here – that was too much salt, use about half that! Place in fridge for a couple of hours – no more.
- Heat oven to 75 degrees.
- Scrape off all excess salt. Place in the oven on a wire rack over a clean tray for 1 hour then reduce temperature to 60 degrees for a further 3 1/2 hours. Turn each hour.
- The salmon jerky should be dried and a chewy on the outside. You can leave it for longer if you feel it needs it.
Now pour a large glass of rosé, sit outside and pretend you’re on holiday.